Putting the "MO" in MOFO since 2004

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Meghantown. Make your own badge here.

My site was nominated for Hottest Mommy Blogger!

Friday, October 14, 2005

 

Funk Shrieking at First Avenue

Jim and I went to see Sonvolt play at First Avenue last night.

In case you don’t know, First Avenue is the place where Prince funked out his big break in the movie “Purple Rain”. It is a Minneapolis landmark. It is where our favorite hometown musicians like Paul Westerberg and Soul Asylum and Husker DU started out their careers. We might not have a lot of Hollywood here in Minneapolis, but we have First Avenue Dammit.

Growing up in Minneapolis, we had a terrible shortage of celebrities. It was kind of pathetic. Every time we saw a Limousine we were all “It’s Prince! It’s Prince! I just know it is!”

If there are any single straight ladies looking for love who are alt-country fans, I highly suggest you go take in a Sonvolt show because it was a complete dude fest. The place was jam packed with men who appeared to be intellectual, slightly sloppy, a bit nerdy yet handsome, and soulful at the same time. The ratio was GOOD. Just an idea if you are into that sort of a thing.

While at First Avenue I picked up tickets for LIZ FUCKING PHAIR. And I am really pumped up to see her live. I heart Liz Phair. I have loved her music for a long time now (aside from her bubble gum total crap cd released 2 years ago). For some reason, every time she played a gig in Minneapolis I couldn’t go. And now I have tickets! Hooray! I am going with my sisters Molly and Julie. Julie has lived here her whole life and has NEVER BEEN TO FIRST AVENUE!! Shocking, I know. She is a First Avenue Virgin.

The ladies room at Fist Ave has two bathroom stalls that are exposed on one side to a big picture window that faces a busy street and a couple of bars. I am fairly certain that no one the outside can see in, but the person using the facilities can see out. It's kind of freaky. On a busy night, when the line is long, I have used those stalls. I have to admit I felt a bit of a thrill at my devil-may-care exhibitionism. Look Minneapolis! It's my butt! HA! Look! My bum! My bum! My big white bum!

I will have to make sure that Julie takes advantage of them on her first visit to First Ave.

We will also make her sing “Purple Rain” as she shows her ID to the bouncer, and if she is asked any questions while handing her ticket over we will make her respond in a high-pitched funk-shriek, Prince style.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Cousin Tiffany said...

You make me quite nostalgic for my First Avenue days. It's where I perfected my "I'm too cool to dance and besides I'd spill my beer" dance. There is no club as good as First Ave in Seattle. If anyone tells you otherwise, they are LIARS.

1:43 PM  
Blogger mothergoosemouse said...

I never recognize celebrities. Never. I am so lame.

But I think I would recognize Prince. If he were all decked out, of course.

7:03 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

Chicago has quite a few home-grown celebs, but yeah Minnesota does seem to be quite quiet. When I think of Minneapolis I think of "Mall of America" and "Target", and I didn't even know that Prince was from Minnesota. I thought everyone in your state had Scandanavia ancestry! Anyway, I like your blog a lot & you're a good writer. Rock concerts are great & I want to get more into the music scene too.

8:01 PM  
Blogger Prego said...

I'll have to say, Minneapolis, sans Hockey, Westerberg & Co., Husker Du and Mary Tyler Moore seems like a bastard cousin of Milwaukee. Regardless, it's on the short list of where relocate once the family and I decide to leave Buffalo, (a retarded stepbrother of Cleveland).

Talk me out of it.

11:39 AM  
Blogger cmhl said...

how FUN!!!!!


I would love to see those bathrooms. take a picture and post it, please????? sounds great..

12:31 PM  
Blogger cmhl said...

ps, the only celebs I see around here are country music celebs. I woudl rather see prince. haha.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I saw Liz Phair years ago- she's great live.

And I'm down with the Prince-speaking funk shrieking.

2:19 PM  
Blogger missjackie said...

I did not know that you were a Son Volt fan too! I saw Son Volt just a month or so back when they were out here.

Admittedly, I was a little disappointed as to how the whole supposed reforming of "Son Volt" turned out, but I will still listen to the band nevertheless; I am a fan of Jay Farrar's music.

BTW, If you haven't done so already, I'd highly recommend that you check out the soundtrack that he did for The Slaughter Rule. I cannot speak highly enough of it. It's one of those soundtracks that you could play and just sit and listen to, not wanting to miss a beat, as if to do so would be to stop breathing. It's a little bit of an extreme description, but it is quite an album; it will really resonate with you.

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home