Putting the "MO" in MOFO since 2004

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Meghantown. Make your own badge here.

My site was nominated for Hottest Mommy Blogger!

Friday, October 28, 2005

 

Liz Phair. And her hair.

If Liz Phair isn’t just the hottest cutest little rebel pop rocker I have ever seen, well, you can call me a monkey’s uncle. Go ahead. Try it. “Monkey’s Uncle! Monkeys Uncle!”

Honey, you can call me monkey’s uncle all you want. Go ahead. See if I care. I got to see Liz Phair in concert.

Mizz Liz played at First Ave. in Minneapolis last night. She has really good hair. I mean really fucking good hair.

She makes me wish I was short. She wore a little denim miniskirt, and a black top with a low cut v neck and cute little split cap sleeves and boots. And her hair. It was stellar.

Her legs might not be long but they are lean and muscular. She was at times dwarfed by her large acoustic guitar. She looked like a child strapped behind that honking monstrosity. She may be diminutive, but her presence is big. Her presence also reeks of coolness. She is possibly the coolest person I have ever been in the same room with.

And she has really good hair.

And then there was the music. She played some new stuff, but mostly old stuff from “Exile in Guyville” “ Whipsmart” and “whitechocolatespaceegg”. Did you know where the title “Whitechocolatespaceegg” came from? She said that is what her son looked like when he was born. I thought that was an accurate description and really quite clever.

Here is a smattering of lyrics from last night’s show:

“It’s nice. To be liked. But it’s better by far to get paid.
I know a lot of the friends that I have
Don’t really see it that way.

But if you could give them each one wish
How much do you want to bet

That they’d wish success for themselves and their friends
And that would include lots of money.

It would surely include lots of money

You have got to have shitloads of m-o-n-e-y, money”

And

“Baby got goin' but I can't complain, you know
It knocks me out when she acts so strange,
It's like a Big Mac truck cut across two lanes in my soul
Conductor, let's throw some metal down, roll!”

And one of my personal favorites

“and it’s true that I stole your lighter
And it’s also true that I lost the map.”

And of course, she played “Supernova”.

And some of her new stuff (yawn).

And the grand finale was “Fuck and Run” which is always a good listen.

Did I mention she has fantastic hair?

My only point of contention is that the show was way too short. She only played about 13 songs. The salve for that sore is that the songs she did play were sung well. I got my money’s worth. She started with some folky acoustic stylings and ramped up at times to full fledged rocking out with all elements of the band revved up in high gear. I didn’t notice that my feet hurt until after she had finished her last song. That is the sign of a great show. And possibly a short show. But I don't care.

I heart Liz Phair. I wonder who does her hair?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Kari said...

You don't want to be short. Trust me. ;-)

10:39 AM  
Blogger Mary Tsao said...

In my next life I want to come back as a rock star.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

I'm 5'2 and yeah, sucks being short. Sounds like you had fun at the concert, and there's nothing better in life than having a good head of hair ;-)!

3:18 PM  
Blogger Prego said...

It's a shame that Liz has to resort to cheesecake to sell her music these days. I always dug her. I still do, but in a pubescent way. (Droool.)

By the way, circle your calendar for Dec. 5th. Supersuckers and the Rev. Horton Heat at First Ave. You might dig.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Rude Cactus said...

I have some early Liz but none of her latest stuff. Gotta say, however, that she's a complete hottie.

5:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home