Putting the "MO" in MOFO since 2004

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Meghantown. Make your own badge here.

My site was nominated for Hottest Mommy Blogger!

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

 

snow covered goodies

Halloween is a magical time. Ghosts, goblins are spirits are conjured up, as are images of colored autumn foliage, pumpkins and candy. It’s a time for kids to dress up and go banging on the neighbor’s doors, shamelessly begging for candy. Other times of the year, these demands might be met with frantic calls to 911, but not on Halloween. On Halloween this behavior is just fine. Expected and encouraged in fact.

In Minnesota, Halloween is really just like it is anywhere else, except for the ever-present possibility that all of the jack-o-lanterns and scarecrows will be tragically covered in a blanket of snow. Stupid, mean snow.

I remember many a Halloween fondly. Except for the cold snow covered ones. If Halloween was snowy or cold, we had to wear snow pants and coats over our costumes. This gear kind of defeated the whole purpose of dressing up. Many a full fledged tantrum was thrown over the donning of the pants and coat. My sisters and I had typically plotted and planned our costumes down to the last detail for weeks. Then, we were instructed to cover them up with puffy down-filled coats. It did not typically go over very well. The tantrums occasionally ended up in enthusiasm-squashing crescendos of harsh words and parental reprimands. At our house that would have gone something like “eat your goddamn dinner and put on your goddamn coat and go trick or treating or I’ll give you something to cry about. Goddammit!”

Our creations ruined, and our spirits crushed, the Minnesota trick or treaters sometimes moped from door to door like Eeyore. Thrusting our pillowcases out with a weak “trick or treat” and downcast eyes.

We would typically cheer up once we had consumed enough candy to be thoroughly sugar-addled. Then of course all was forgiven, because thanks to our parent’s keen sense of practicality, we hadn’t lost any fingers to frostbite. More importantly, we could then use our non-frostbitten digits to tear the wrappers from, and inhale the contents of our big honking bags full of candy. And it’s hard to be pissed at your parents when you are bouncing off the walls in the throes of a spastic sugar high. In between trading kit kats to your sister for Skittles and compulsively separating, counting, and color-coding the goods over and over and over again, it was hard to be anything but blissfully gleeful.

A mixed bag really.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Dawn said...

We had the same conversations in our house in Vermont- particularly the Goddammits.

Halloween Fashionista's do not belong in cold weather climates.

2:32 PM  
Blogger JB said...

"Our creations ruined, and our spirits crushed, the Minnesota trick or treaters sometimes moped from door to door like Eeyore. Thrusting our pillowcases out with a weak “trick or treat” and downcast eyes."

Ha! I love the comparison to Eeyore. And I love, too, how you capture the woes and glories of Halloween.

I didn’t get to dress up much due to my very religious parents, but once my grandparents secretly took me trick-or-treating and I dressed up like the “wicked witch of the west.” I even had a long, hooked green nose with a hairy wart on the end.

I remember looking in the mirror and I was so happy. I remember that feeling every time I see a little kid all dressed up.

6:56 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

I love Halloween and it's fun for adults too! I went to a party yesterday and can't wait to post my pictures, the costumes were out-of-this-world creative!

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home