Putting the "MO" in MOFO since 2004

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Meghantown. Make your own badge here.

My site was nominated for Hottest Mommy Blogger!

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

 

Happy 3-0 Miss Molly!

Today is the thirtieth birthday of my dear, sweet, younger sister Molly.

Molly and I share the not necessarily enviable position of middle child. We are both middle kids, and in my opinion, we share much of the middle child neuroses. She is entering her thirties with a small amount of trepidation, but for the most part seems to be taking it all pretty well. And why wouldn't she? She just keeps getting better every year.

In honor of her big day, here is the top ten list of things that are wonderful about Molly:

10. Molly is incredibly funny and smart. Her observations of the world and the people in it leave me reeling with laughter. This is usually due to the fact that:

9. Molly is exceedingly direct. Many times her ideas go straight from inside thought, to blurting them right out. One could say she lacks a filter. She has been known to say things like "You're pregnant aren't you?" to the friend timidly sipping a coke instead of the usual red wine, or, say, "Did you know that means the dog is probably going to DIE?" Some people might get into trouble for this. But not Molly. The reason Molly gets away with this kind of thing is:

8. Molly is a tender hearted person who would rarely if ever say anything hurtful to anyone. She is often as surprised as anyone else that her inside thoughts become outside thoughts. You can tell by the way she sometimes slaps her hand over her mouth in shock. When we put our parents shelte to sleep, she wept like a baby. It's just all right there below the surface. You rarely have to wonder what Molly is thinking.

7. Molly is incredibly sensitive. She cares very much about the people she loves. She can be painfully vulnerable to hurts and slights, but at the same time she is so quick to forgive the offending party when they make an effort to make amends. It is easy to feel like it's okay to be human around Molly. I can't express how lovely a quality that is.

6. Molly has a few, shall we say...awkward years? She told me once that she used to pray that she would be pretty one day. That just about killed me, because I KNOW, as her older sister, I gave her flack for every flaw. As a kid, I gleefully pointed out each physical shortcoming just to make her feel bad because, well I was her older sister and I thought it was my job. I AM SO SORRY! Do you now that I did that because I was jealous and hated sharing attention? Well, just so you know. That's why. And the real kicker is, she turned into the most gorgeous auburn haired six foot tall specimen you have ever seen. Molly is gorgeous. And what makes her painfully beautiful, is that the awkward kid still lingers. She has no idea how pretty she is. That only adds to the appeal.

5. Molly might be sweet and all, but she does occasionally show her temper. She will blurt things out in the passion of the moment. When these statements are not directed at me, they are an endless source of entertainment. We saw a prelude to this the time she kicked out the window in her bedroom because Mom and Dad wouldn't let her watch "Little House on the Prairie".

4. As Molly has grown older, she has gotten more comfortable in her own skin. She is not afraid to ask for what she wants. She has gone from a timid clumsy kid to an adult with a sense of purpose and direction. She has learned how to take risks, and in my opinion, she is just starting to see what she is capable of accomplishing. And Molly is capable of accomplishing ANYTHING.

3. Molly makes up her own mind about people. While she cares a lot what people think, she ultimately makes her own decision every time. That takes courage, and Molly has courage.

2. Molly is a devoted sister, aunt and daughter. I can't tell you how many times she has been there for me when I feel low, or hurt. She is quick to defend the people she loves. I know I always have someone on my team. That means so much. Life is so much better with Molly in it.

And number one:

1. Molly might be 30 years old and a successful real estate broker, but she still plays with dolls.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Tiffany said...

Actual conversation that occured yesterday.

Me: You get the American Girl Doll catalogue? I get that too.

Friend: Yeah, they've been sending it ever since I bought something for my niece. She's eight.

Me: Same here--after I bought something for my cousin. She's 30.

Happy Birthday Molly!

9:45 AM  
Blogger missjackie said...

I am lovin' the number #1. What's that all about? I want to know more!

4:18 PM  
Blogger Prego said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Prego said...

Re: #6... Tell her not to fret. If the picture you posted for your other sister's b-day is any indication, she's flying at the right hot-titude.

11:08 AM  
Blogger librarychik said...

I hope Miss Molly read your post, and I agree with Miss Jackie, #1 is great!

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home