Putting the "MO" in MOFO since 2004

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Meghantown. Make your own badge here.

My site was nominated for Hottest Mommy Blogger!

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

 

Happy Birthday Julie











Happy Birthday Big Sister,

It is the anniversary of the birth of my sister Julie. The eldest of the four sisters.

She is my one and only older sister, and we were lumped together as “Children, Part I”, before Molly and Betsy were born, creating “Children, Part Deux”.

In honor of her Birthday, I present the top ten list of things that are wonderful about Miss Julie.

10. Julie has a finely honed creative wit and a marvelous sense of humor. This was evident even back in the old days when she would cut out magazine pictures and paste them in a scrap book, making satirical comic books of our family vacations to the cabin.

9. Julie sees the truth in things. That skill did not come easy. She has worked extremely hard to find her own truths. In doing so, she seems to have discovered a talent for seeing truth in things beyond her own life. She sees past a lot of bullshit, and fortunately for those around her, she is usually too polite to point out the disparities.

8. Julie has raised two incredible daughters. She has raised them WELL. They are witty, creative, sharp, kind, and so much fun to be around. The energy, creativity, wit, and charm of her daughters are a direct reflection of her. Though she might not admit that.

7. She has been through some tough times. Some really tough times. She survived them with grace and dignity. Julie revealed to the world, her astounding capacity for growth in difficult circumstances. Julie has made mistakes, just like we all do. What makes her remarkable is the courage she finds to persevere, grow, and move forward with a better understanding of her own power. Even in the most dire of circumstances.

6. Julie is a talented writer, which is reflected in her blog which can be viewed here.

5. As Julie pointed out in a recent conversation, she and I are not as different as we once thought. In fact, we are very much alike in many ways, and we discover more and more of these commonalities as we grow. I am so grateful to be her sister.

4. I admire Julie very much, even though she told me my barbie’s hair would grow back when I interrupted her cutting it off with a pair of safety scissors. It never did. But she was only 5 so I forgive her.

3. Julie knits like a rock star.

2. Julie can do anything she puts her mind to. The most charming part of this is how surprised she is by her own ability to do anything she sets her mind to. It seems the doors of possibility are continually opening up in her mind and it is a beautiful site to behold.

1. We may have pulled each others hair out in catfights. I may have resorted to defending myself by chasing her with a sharp knife like a crazed juvenile. I may have kicked her in the head while wearing boots. I may have sat on the floor cross legged with my arms folded over my chest while we were supposed to be cleaning our room, and repeated over and over again “Oh, Huh!.... Oh, Huh!” until her head damn near exploded. But she still wrote a mean note to Nancy Parsons for tormenting me in the 5th grade

6 Comments:

Blogger Prego said...

Are all three girls in the picture sisters? That's one hot gene pool. Growlllll.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Mary Tsao said...

Um. What Prego said.

Also, I think it's pretty cool that you are close enough to your sister to even know her like this. I'm sure your relationship has seen its share of ups and downs, but it sounds like you truly value her as a friend. That's cool.

3:26 PM  
Blogger jenB said...

i agree, everyone is delicious. and me with nothing but a gnarly older brother who farted on my head.

11:52 PM  
Blogger Lin said...

You're all SO pretty...but so very different. Same Pa, right? hee hee

5:06 PM  
Blogger Meghan said...

HAHA! Yes same pa, same gene pool.

Our parents were once asked if we were all adopted, but we are not. We just came up with a lot of fun variations on the gene combo. I think a vouple of us went back two full generations.

5:11 AM  
Blogger missjackie said...

Sisters are the best! And I know, I have four of them! (Three of them are Leo's. Rrrrr! They's fiesty, but friendly.)

Sounds like Julie is top-notch! Happy birthday to Julie!

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home