Putting the "MO" in MOFO since 2004

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Meghantown. Make your own badge here.

My site was nominated for Hottest Mommy Blogger!

Friday, December 02, 2005

 

Re-discovery

I am convinced that Christmas is by design, a distraction from the oppressive darkness and general depression – inducing cold and bleakness of the season.

I mean, Easter is really the big, important, significant Christian religious observance. At least this is what I have read. That is when the real miracle supposedly occurred. He was the first person to rise from the dead for crying in the soup. THAT was a big deal. Plenty of Tom’s Dick’s and Harry’s were born before him. I understand that Christmas is a celebration of the birth of Jesus. And from what I know if Jesus, he was a pretty righteous man. Whether you are Christian or not, his existence is historically documented, and he was a cool dude. There is no denying. I am not dissing Jesus here. I am so not dissing Jesus.

I think we turned the celebration of the birth of Jesus into a brightly lit, occasionally tacky, capitalistic pagan hootenanny because we just NEED SOMETHING TO DO this time of year. We need a distraction from the dismal. We need tacky obnoxious lights in the darkness. We need to-do lists that are crammed with items to prevent us from focusing on the lack of light, the lack of sound, and the claustrophobia of being holed up in our hovels all day long.

Can you imagine what December would be like without the holidays? I get to work in the dark. I leave work in the dark. It would be like January through February, but darker. Oy.

It’s downright depressing out there.

Typically, I need to see the light at the end of the tunnel this time of year. So much so that I actually print out the sunrise, sunset calendar and mark off the days until daylight starts to increase. If I can make it to the winter solstice, I will at least know that tomorrow will be less depressing than today was. At least I sincerely hope so.

This year, I find myself caught off-guard by the brand-new, tiny little spark of excitement I feel as the holiday approaches. I have to admit, it is heartwarming to watch Maggie’s face light up when she looks at the Christmas tree. When she lifts her arms to me and I pick her up so she can get a good look at the ornaments up high. There is something awe-inducing about the way she carefully brings her chubby finger to them. The way she takes the tip of her finger, and slowly….just barely …..gives them the most gentle and reverent touch. When she gapes at Santa with wide eyes, I see a glimmer of the wonder that my skeptical soul seemed to have lost years ago. Kind of like when you don’t realize how famished you are until you set your eyes on a cheeseburger and fries. I didn’t realize how much I missed that wonder until I saw it again in my daughter’s eyes.

So perhaps I will wait this year until December 26th to print out that calendar to watch the days gradually grow longer. To observe the insanity-inducing slowness of the change from winter to spring. Until Christmas, I just won't have time. I have a big responsibility. I am the CEO in charge of wonder. I am honored to be appointed to such an influential position, and I take my job very seriously. My success is measured in the looks of wonder in my daughters eyes, and I am hoping for a stellar, bang-up, start-up year.

6 Comments:

Blogger God's Child said...

"we just NEED SOMETHING TO DO this time of year"

yes, we really do. But I find December 26th THE MOST DEPRESSING DAY OF THE YEAR. well, that and new year's day. Maybe I could take up ice-sculpting.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Cliopatra said...

Technically, Jesus wasn't the first person to rise from the dead. He raised Lazarus from the dead, and there may have been some dead guys who got up and walked in the Old Testament, though I can't think of who they are at the moment.

2:12 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

I agree with New Year's Day as being the most depressing. Holiday festivities are over, and you're probably hung over (either from drinking or just from a late night), or else you're depressed because you are too lame or child-saddled to have reason for said hangover.

Cheered me up reminding me that the days will soon get lighter. YAY! I worship you, Sun God!

10:35 AM  
Blogger shannon said...

I love the line "CEO in charge of wonder." So cool. I thought they created Christmas to have something fun scheduled to compete with the pagans, but dunno. :)

6:04 PM  
Blogger mothergoosemouse said...

I feel the same way about the Winter Solstice. At least the days are getting longer again.

And I agree - the wonder makes it all worthwhile.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Prego said...

Wait until those chubby fingers start yanking off the lights you just put up and all the ornaments on the bottom third of the tree.

I don't get depressed... just more annoyed by the crowds during run of the mill errands.

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home