Putting the "MO" in MOFO since 2004

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Meghantown. Make your own badge here.

My site was nominated for Hottest Mommy Blogger!

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

 

Pizza. I want pizza.

You may or may not have read about my last stint with a “cleansing diet”. Much like childbirth, the memories of the pain of my last attempt have waned. Plus, it is swimsuit season, and I would like to lose 5 pounds. Okay, maybe a little more than that, but who’s counting?

The gist of it is to cut out sugar, wheat, gluten, meat, dairy, eggs, caffeine, and alcohol. And that, my friends, doesn’t leave too much to choose from.

We started last night, and I am already feeling a little sluggish. Apparently my bod likes the bad stuff. I am finding it hard to concentrate, and I have a slight headache due to the lack of coffee today. Based on past experience, the headache will continue to worsen until the end of the day tomorrow, when I will have to lock myself in a dark room to rock back and forth and hum lullabies to myself.

After about 24 hours of no sugar, eggs, meat, dairy, gluten, etc…a person just stops being hungry. I could say that is because of my blood sugar leveling out, but it’s more likely that after 3 days of raw almonds, apples and rice cakes, raw almonds, apples and rice cakes just don’t sound very good. Last night it was falafel, basmati rice, and tahini. So far today, I have had a handful of almonds, a field green salad with oil and vinegar, lentil soup, a banana, rice crackers, and olive tapenade.

Based on the way my feelings towards garbanzo beans took a violent turn for the worse last time, I am realizing that the key to a successful cleanse is to make sure you plan meals that have variety and flavor.

Another issue with this diet is that you have to cook everything yourself because what take-out restaurant serves gluten free wheat free egg free meat free entrees? And you are too exhausted and confused to cook, due to the shocking of your system with the lack of junk and all. I think last time we did this, I would have a glass of water for dinner. Then I would put Maggie to bed. Then I would sit and stare.

Tonight: Either portabella mushroom caps stuffed with chipotle mashed potatoes (with rice milk) or tacos made with homemade rice flour tortillas, black beans, avocado, tomato and onions. It really depends on how energetic I am feeling. We also managed to find a frozen entrée made by Amy’s that doesn’t break any of the rules. Hooray.

If you care to place bets on how long I will last with all this nonsense, please feel free. Here’s a hint: Last time I planned to go a full week, and I made it 3.5 days.

I do have a wine tasting planned tomorrow night, so that’s not really cheating, because I always planned to cheat that night anyway. So there.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just reading that made me want pizza..girl, don't do that to yourself!

Jerri Ann
jareason@gmail.com
www.acracknlife.squarespace.com

6:38 PM  
Anonymous mothergoosemouse said...

I shook my head last time, and I'm still shaking. Although the food choices sound more appealing to me this time.

You go girl. I'm betting that you can make it five days this time.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

Meghan, all things in moderation, my friend!! That means martinis, girl, martinis!
I'm rootin' for you anyway....
Denise

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"What take-out restaurant serves gluten free wheat free egg free meat free entrees?" Ones on the west coast. I made fun of the punk rock vegan collective breakfast joint--until I tried it! Still, I think that diet sounds horrible.

--T.

8:18 PM  
Anonymous madge said...

I've done this and MAN! it's hard. But not as hard as a weekend juice fast. I ate an entire medium pizza by Saturday night of the fast. Nice.

Look at it this way, for weeks after you'll be the world's cheapest date. Half a glass of wine? Hammered.

10:06 AM  
Blogger GraceD said...

Dude, are you living in Santa Cruz and didn't tell me? Because it's all about toxin free rejuvenation round these parts.

You're here. I can feel the Meghan vibes. I'm gonna start wandering around our organic food stores, and if I find you, we'll go out for rice cakes.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Prego said...

Funny, you just described our usual fare (portobella 'shrooms, falafel, jasmati rice etc.)

The way I looked at it, you don't see a lot of fatty-ass Middle Eastern types. They might be on to something.

p

5:31 AM  
Anonymous TB said...

I don't know, those meals sounded pretty good to me. Maybe the key is to focus on what you CAN have instead of what you are depriving yourself of?

I hope you make it through the caffeine withdrawl though, that really does suck donkey balls.

Good luck!

9:25 AM  
Blogger E. said...

I've been considering doing something like this to detoxify, hoping it will unleash reserves of energy I didn't know I had. Keep us posted.

By the way, "I'm Abloggin'" is one of my favorite blog titles ever.

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home