Putting the "MO" in MOFO since 2004

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Meghantown. Make your own badge here.

My site was nominated for Hottest Mommy Blogger!

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

 

Observations from our visit to the Amusement Park

The park looked a lot bigger when I was eleven years old.

The white roller coaster is really not that scary.

There are very few attractive adolescents. This fact makes me feel much better about my own fugliness at that age. I tried to see the attractive adult in each of them. It was hard.

I have no desire to go on a ride that requires me to sit in a small puddle of warm water that has likely been swished around a stinky teenagers butt. Water rides = human stew.

Boys ages 11-17 + a day at the amusement park at 80 degrees= Horrific B.O.
Please go on a water ride, get a quick rinse, and leave a puddle of stinky butt water for the next passenger (who will certainly NOT be me). Perhaps then you will not smell as much like the funk when I stand behind you in line.

Simply BEING at an amusement park makes people look trashier. I am sure I looked trashy just being there.

My husband is a very sweet man who adores my enthusiasm for scary rides. He is sweet for trying to hide the fact that he does not share my enthusiasm for scary rides.

Next time we go, I must bring reinforcements so that when my sweet husband turns green from riding on “Steel Venom” I will still have someone to accompany me on scary rides so we will not have to decide between going on rides alone, or leaving the amusement park early.

But at least we went on “Steel Venom” after we had been on all the other rides.

I rode “Steel Venom” two more times, by myself.

Waiting in line to go on rides by myself gave me anxiety. I was transported back to the 7th grade when I was tall, gawky, ugly, incredibly insecure, and the odd number in the group who no one wanted to ride with. I don’t think I smelled bad though. At least I had that.

Because if this, I made an awkward attempt at conversation with some adolescent kids (non-stinky ones) while in line for “Steel Venom”. I felt like a big freak. I made a point to explain to them that I was by myself because my husband refused to go on the ride again (So they wouldn’t think I was some kind of a psycho). They were adorable kids who spoke perfect Spanish (I believe it was their native language) and perfect English. They had much enthusiasm for the sheer and utter scariness of “Steel Venom”. We compared notes on which was better, sitting in the front, or the back of the ride, and what the scariest parts were.

They waved at me when I was seated and the ride was about to start.

It was nice that they waved at me.

While riding solo, I was nervous to sit next to a stranger on a scary ride. I worried that they wanted to ride alone and I was intruding.

Scary rides are much better when you sit next to someone you know.

At heart, I am still an awkward, funny looking adolescent who worries about people liking her. But I don’t have B.O. – At least I hope I don’t.

I wonder if I will ever grow out of that.

I hope I never grow out of my love for scary rides though.

10 Comments:

Anonymous mothergoosemouse said...

Meghan, that was hilarious! I love scary rides too. I have not been on a rollercoaster since January 2001 - Six Flags Magic Mountain - but I still love them and can hardly wait until my girls are big enough to enjoy them too.

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Kari said...

Oh, that "human stew" description just made me ill.

I LOVE amusement parks. But ya definitely have to funk it up while there. I know I am so trashy. I have a fanny pack that I wear ONLY to amusement parks (where else ya gonna put cha wallet? Don't tell anyone though. I'll be kicked out of Nordstrom.)

And of course by the end of the day, my white arms have that half-still-ghost white, half-burnt-crisp look stylin' with the fair-going-folk.

Roller coasters = super fun. Just not super-fashion.

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Kari, Again said...

Oh and um... both Julie and Meghan... if you want to play a little hooky from BlogHer, there is an amusement park kinda near by.

Last year, of course, we were right next door. And I made the mistake of trying to convince Dooce that it would be cool to go over there.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I don't do scary rides. But I'm still that 13 year old scared adolecent. Yuck.

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Meredith said...

Your thoughts on why you were talking to the kids in line made me think about how I always worry that people think I might be shoplifting in stores when I am alone and the staff is watching me. Then I feel guilty even though I wasn't shoplifting so I start talking to them about whatever comes to mind. Verbal diahrea.

I love the human stew reference - I guess I have BO to look forward to as my son ages!

7:42 PM  
Blogger Prego said...

I spent June 16th at one of those Six Flags park with a bunch of 7th and 8th graders. My first ride was the Bar/Restaurant stool in hopes that they'd be showing the Netherlands v. The Ivory Coast game. There was no line, but there was also no game. They didn't carry ESPN on their sattelite. So my next ride was a sulking one on the picnic benches in the pavilion.

There was no way I was going to sit on that bar stool watching bass fishing on OLN. I felt brown-trash enough just being in the park.

5:56 AM  
Blogger Prego said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:57 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I just like saying "Steel Venom" Over and Over.

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Jill said...

Last summer I took my 13 year old cousin to Great America, an amusement park near our house. Our goal was to go on every rollercoaster. By the fifth ride, I was motion sick. By the sixth ride, I almost passed out.

The sad part.... I use to LOVE spending my days going on the rollercoasters time after time... with no motion sickness.

Uggh. It looks like I will need to stick to the kiddy rides with my four and six year old daughters....

Jill
Co-Founder, Silicon Valley Moms Blog

6:13 PM  
Blogger Rude Cactus said...

Steel Venom sounds like a great band name. "And tonight, opening for Judas Priest, Steel Venom!!"

6:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home