Putting the "MO" in MOFO since 2004

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Meghantown. Make your own badge here.

My site was nominated for Hottest Mommy Blogger!

Monday, November 06, 2006

 

Old habits die hard.

This morning, as I lay in bed, contemplating getting up to make coffee and greet the day with my Madge, I tried something new. I gave myself a little affirmation. A Stewart Smalley type Mantra. I saw something on Larry King Live recently about the power of thought.

Actually the people DID seem a little odd and cult-ish. Really, they seemed just pain weird. But they were discussing theories of quantum physics and the power of thought and the push and pull of the universe and how our thoughts and emotions are a part of that much larger push and pull – the idea of it fascinates me. How changing one's thoughts might change their life. I also recently read a quote from Arianna Huffington about self-dialogue and how we are so much nastier to ourselves than we would be to other people. That idea is not new to me, as I have often considered that I would never in a million years say the kind of cruel things I say to myself to another human being. I like to think I am not a cruel person. But in a way I am, because of the things I say to myself. I am MEAN sometimes. And a nag. And broken freaking record. I am working to change that.

The affirmation worked for a while. Then I got caught up in the trap if measuring myself by someone else’s standards. I was reminded of my own shortcomings, and that little external jostle put the needle right back on the old record. So I am working to set it straight again, and change the tune. I suspect this takes a great deal of practice, which takes a great deal of perseverance, both of which I know I am capable of.

Also, Monday mornings are just kind of hard.

So here we go again.

7 Comments:

Blogger DDM said...

My boss once told me to "Be nice to yourself!". At the time I thought he was nuts. And then I started to realize that he might have been on to something. A few steps in the direction of positive self talk really helped me through a tough time there. It has continued to help me since, but it doesn't come naturally to me. I really have to make an effort to be nice to myself. DAMN BAGGAGE! Thanks Dad....

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Karianna said...

My son's kindergarten teacher told us that today is "Marvelous Monday!"

I can think of some other terms I'd like to use instead. :P

12:29 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

You're good enough, you're smart enough, and doggone it, people like you!

8:01 AM  
Blogger Daisy said...

A former boss once told me "Stop beating yourself up because you're human." Late, his words of wisdom included, "The most you can do is the best you can do, and that's enough." He told me that to remind me that my best, as imperfect as I felt, was darn good.

8:17 AM  
Anonymous Izzy said...

It's interesting that you would blog about this. I do believe that thoughts are a form of energy and that they do have a sort of power, thus one should always try to think positive thoughts. The really hard part is remembering that, day in and day out!

10:50 PM  
Anonymous TB said...

"Be gentle with yourself" is one of my favorite things to tell other people who are having a hard time. It's so much harder to follow that advice in our own lives though, isn't it?

7:33 AM  
Blogger jbb said...

i'm not sure how i found your blog, but i think you ARE smart enough, and obviously, people like you! I don't even know how to operate a myspace page, or i'd be one of your friends. cheers.

1:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home