Putting the "MO" in MOFO since 2004

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Meghantown. Make your own badge here.

My site was nominated for Hottest Mommy Blogger!

Friday, February 02, 2007

 

Things I have learned this week.

Staying home with children is harder than working.

I have been straddling both worlds while the in-laws are in Florida, staying at home with Maggie in the mornings and zipping to work at noon every day. I have never been so exhausted in my whole entire life. I love hanging out with her in the morning. Don't get me wrong. But GOOD LORD those little people sure take it out of you.

That may help explain the extended silence on this site.

Random Smattering of tidbits:

Something a man who wants to keep his gonads in tact should never ever say to his wife:

"I don't think other women complain as much as you. I mean, maybe because I am not married to other women, I don't hear them complain. That and you really complain a lot. More than anyone I know."

They are never too young to train:

If your bank offers a one-time grab into a change jar to children who open up new bank accounts, letting them keep whatever change they can grab with one hand, it's best to have Grandpa practice with them a few times before you go. Because if you do, a two and a half year old might grab Five dollars and Thirty six cents in change in one little dimpled toddler hand. I don't know. It impressed the Hell out of me.

This state is not for the faint of heart: If you don't enjoy the feeling of snot freezing in your nose every time you inhale outdoors, don't live in Minnesota. Also, if you like leaving your home in winter, it's best to not live here.

On a brighter note: Patty Griffin's new album is coming out next week. I have pre-ordered mine, and happened to catch a chance broadcast of one of her new songs on my way into work, which is even more extraordinary because she never gets played on the radio.
Why her name is not yet a household name is beyond me, but we also re-elected "W" into office, so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by much.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Denise said...

Patty Griffin is awesome. Can't wait for the new music!

8:58 AM  
Blogger DDM said...

I hear you on the kids sucking the life out of us. I'm home with mine every day, but this week we're both sick. So no school. Which means that I have a sick, snot dribbling, temper tantrum throwing, frothing child to deal with.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

You are right about staying home being hard, and I would not have believed it when I was working full time. For me, the hardest part is having so little control over how I spend my time. When I was in the work world, while there were things I needed to do between 9 and 5, they were more predictable. Now, I have to cram everything into the hours between 9 and 2, and if the school calls or the husband calls, my plans get shifted to the backburner while I take care of everything else. Drives me NUTS. And don't get me started on what happens when the kid is home sick (although that is a given when you're working, too, and was probably my biggest source of stress when I was a working mom, as she would catch things at daycare regularly and then I would fight with the husband about why I was the one who had to stay home with her and he rarely did). AARGH.

That said -- I am also amazed by how much your little one grabbed at the bank! Cool!

9:54 AM  
Anonymous abogada said...

The change thing -- very, very impressive.

I'm living in a winter state as well. This latest batch of freezing weather has totally ticked me off. Hate it hate it hate it.

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was such a happy working mother. I had the best of both worlds. I loved and was stimulated (and good at) my job and came home thrilled to spend time with my kids. Sure it was a balance act, but I figure the kids got the best of both worlds also. pjindy

7:23 AM  
Blogger Sophie Brador said...

I hope a Canadian bank does the money grab thing. If they do, I'm heading straight over with the biggest handed five year old I can find. We have $2 coins here. With enough training, the little one might be able to score an easy fifty bucks!

P.S. It's been so cold here that my dog's snot is freezing.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Mom2One said...

Patty Griffin is amazing. I saw her in concert with Mary Chapin Carpenter, Dar Williams, and Shawn Colvin which was also amazing. I'm definitely buying Patty Griffin's new CD and hope I can catch her in concert again.

2:45 PM  
Anonymous mothergoosemouse said...

It is. Very hard. No matter how much you adore them.

I'm scared shitless!!

5:18 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I am in awe of my wife and other SAHMs. Tough work. Yay you.

5:24 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Sweet pea - I feel you 110% on the freezing your ass off shit.

And I love me some Patti Griffin, no wonder why I love you so...

8:17 PM  
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

Truer words were never spoken... but I gotta say that there is a very specific physical AND metaphysical strain that comes with dividing your days BETWEEN work and children, because you scramble to give each their due attention but constantly feel that you're coming up short. That said - it's always the 'work' part that's easier... both on the level of physical demand and metaphysical drain.

6:24 AM  
Anonymous Missy said...

Yay!!! Somebody else likes Patty Griffin!

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Missy said...

Oh, and yes, I agree that staying home is harder. That being said, my 2 kids have just had multiple rounds of croup, sinus infections and strep throat, and I have been forced to take leave without pay (even though my husband has stayed home some as well). It is so stressful! I am going to part-time work and I'm thrilled. Hard to believe I'm saying that because I thought I would go crazy when I was home full-time, but things change, I suppose, and the grass isn't always greener.

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Nancy said...

Ah, I remember the nose-freezing feeling from central New York. We've got quite the cold spell here in DC this week, so I'm thinking I may get to reminisce (ha) about that particular cold weather sensation. ;-)

Hope you get a chance to enjoy some R&R soon.

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home