Putting the "MO" in MOFO since 2004

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Meghantown. Make your own badge here.

My site was nominated for Hottest Mommy Blogger!

Thursday, September 01, 2005

 

Bless them

I put off reading about the human suffering caused by hurricane Katrina because I was not sure I could bear it. It seems this world just gets uglier and scarier by the day. I don’t want to become a passive gawker to someone else’s disaster. It seems so intrusive and invasive to view the loss and intimate pain of regular people. To watch their sorrow from the comfort of my living room. I do not want their suffering to be my entertainment. I do not want to be glued to my television getting my rocks off on the video clips of the desperation, grief and pain of human beings.

Our society seems, at times to be reduced to that. It sickens me.

Peace and healing to everyone who is suffering loss and grief and pain. Bless the souls of every man, woman and child who takes this disaster an opportunity to exemplify selflessness, love and generosity. It hurts to care sometimes. God bless you for doing it anyways.

4 Comments:

Blogger Julie Marsh said...

I cannot read about it, let alone watch it. By no means am I in denial; to the contrary, I'm all too aware of the suffering, and I empathize to such a degree that I cannot bear to think about these people's pain, as it causes me to think about how I would feel were I in their position, and I start to sob and hold my daughters close and they wonder why Mommy is so upset.

I can hardly believe this is happening in our country. It just doesn't seem possible.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Lin said...

Pax, Meghan.

3:56 PM  
Blogger Fortune said...

I have to agree with you. It really really irks me in many ways (on a political, social and humanitarian level) and the fact I can't be down there in the trenches being one of many volunteers is sad. What's even sadder is I still can't get over the fact though - when this sort of thing happens in third world countries we as a nation are there big time. It's odd to have thoughts - "why couldn't we have the same 100% let's get in their and help feeling from the getgo". Know what I'm saying? Just irks me.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Prego said...

There's a little bit of "third world" everywhere. My mother always had this saying (in Spanish) that "Monkeys never look at their tails," meaning that one never sees one's own faults. Sadly, our tails have been in our faces all week.

I hope the lives that are shaken by this horrible tragedy can overcome the financial devastation and loss of faith in a god, country and each other.

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home