Putting the "MO" in MOFO since 2004

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Meghantown. Make your own badge here.

My site was nominated for Hottest Mommy Blogger!

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

 

Eh? Did y'all say guilty?

Forty-one years to the day after three civil rights workers were beaten and shot to death, an 80-year-old former Ku Klux KlanKlansman was found guilty of manslaughter.

This really makes me sad. Sad to think about the young, hopeful, intelligent and idealistic lives that were cut violently short by small-minded hatred. These people were making a difference. These people were probably so frightened when they were approached by the gang of sheet wearing hatemongers. I wonder what they thought about in the moments before they were killed. I think about how terrifying that would be. I hurt for them and how frightened they must have been. It makes me ache, thinking about it.

Sad that I am made of the same genetic material that this guy is. It scares the shit out of me, what humans are capable of.

I wonder if the only thing separating me from him is the luck of having parents capable of empathy.

He was someones child. At one point in his life, he was probably a fat-cheeked baby.
I wonder where it all went terribly wrong.

I wonder if this guy prays. I wonder if he thinks the God he prays to loved the people he killed. How does person reconcile that?

I did find the photo sickly amusing though. Justice finally found this fool and he's got one foot in the grave dragging around an oxygen tank.

4 Comments:

Blogger Robert Boshaw said...

Sorry, but who is this guy?

2:10 PM  
Blogger Askani said...

The wheels of justice grind slow and fine.

12:53 AM  
Blogger TwinsGoddess said...

I had many of the same thoughts this morning, Meg. Not so much about the geezer who was convicted, but a lot about those boys--why they had to die, and what their legacy will be.

5:59 AM  
Blogger Katie Burke said...

Yeah, I know. It is so sad. I have no idea how people become so filled with hatred. What I always wonder (and sort of believe, in a naive way) is whether they know DEEP DOWN that their people-hating beliefs are wrong. They must. Right? They have to. No human being can truly believe that it is OK to hate entire groups of people.

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home