Putting the "MO" in MOFO since 2004

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Meghantown. Make your own badge here.

My site was nominated for Hottest Mommy Blogger!

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

 

What a relief

So I was totally surprised by the invitation to C0-lead a break-out session on Mommy blogging with a talented blogger named Jenny. You can see her stuff at threekidcircus.com. FUNNY LADY that Jenny.

I feel unworthy because I have really only been doing this for about 3 weeks now. I am feeling a lot of pressure to keep things interesting and funny. Then I fear that pressure will make me really un-funny. That I will go to this conference and people will whisper about me as I walk out of earshot “She couldn’t handle the pressure….so sad…. thought she had potential….just choked…came all the way from Minneapolis…poor thing”

What would be even worse would be if everyone just kept me around and let me continue to suck . Like the Greenbush twins from Little House on the Prairie (they played Carrie, whose lines were reduced to “Wanna Pay Doll!” by the second season for liability reasons). They were cute for about 3 weeks and then everyone realized they couldn’t act. But they had to keep them around because you can’t just replace Carrie. Me on the other hand….

Then I thought I don’t want to be like, the child star of blogging. You know, early rise to fame and then crash and burn baby. The Corey Feldman of Blogging. I could start wearing a glove and hanging out with MJ. I could develop a heroin habit, and end up on “The Surreal Life: Bloggers” with other blogger has-beens and walk around acting really annoying and narcissistic and smoking cigarettes and refusing to participate in things.

Then I realized that having an imaginary audience is supposed to be an adolescent phenomenon. I am 32 years old. That nonsense should have ended about 18 years ago. People weren’t paying much attention then, and methinks they are probably not paying much attention now. Now I can go on and write whatever I want and not even have to try to picture my imaginary audience in their imaginary underwear. What a relief!

7 Comments:

Blogger TwinsGoddess said...

“The Surreal Life: Bloggers”

Hee.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Robert Boshaw said...

Hi Meghan,

I have some advice for everyone who performs at any level:

Your audience wants you to succeed. Help them to realize their goal to applaude you.

And if anyone boos, flip 'em the bird.

Rob

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the quick reference to Little House on the Prairie (LHOP). Watching it on late weekday mornings is/has been one of my guilty pleasures!

2:57 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

Meghan, you will be great! (And just think of the material it will provide you for this).

I am hoping to be there to cheer you on.

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh! Dibs on the nickname Half Pint (I'm 4'11"... heh.)

9:52 PM  
Blogger Askani said...

No worries! Your blog is a joy to read and I've laughed quite a bit. No pressure ;)

12:20 AM  
Blogger Katie Burke said...

If they don't like you, fuck 'em! I will be there to tell them all what they can do with their Blogsnobbery. And by the way, they will love you.

1:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home