Putting the "MO" in MOFO since 2004

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Meghantown. Make your own badge here.

My site was nominated for Hottest Mommy Blogger!

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

 

Joyeux Anniversaire Madamoiselle Bettina!













Betsy Bettina turns 28 (today! I think? Or is it 27? 29? I think it's 28 but that's okay because she doesn't always rememeber how old I am either)

Youngest of the quartet of Von Trapp family singer wannabes is a year older, officially, as of today. Julie wrote a nice post recalling some funny and sweet things about Betsy that I had just about forgotten about.

Happy Birthday Beastie!

Here is my top ten list of things that are great about Betsy:

10. She can sing an opera in falsetto, while leaping about, and she can do it well.

9. She looks great in ass-pants (yes, I do hate her for this)

8. She can speak French fluently and was the interpreter for the Griswold, I mean our family’s, European vacation. She could interpret our requests for Vin Rooj! To the server in French while pleading with her eyes for forgiveness for the utterly crass American cluelessness of her family donned in athletic shoes and track outfits. For this, she used the universal language of an expression that read “Please take pity on me. I did not choose these people, being the youngest, they certainly chose me.” She may have wanted to heave herself off of the Eiffel tower, and I am certain she did, but she continued interpreting for her bumbling family nonetheless.

7. At my friend Janna’s wedding when the song “Dancing with myself” by Bill Idol came on, Betsy ran out alone to the dance floor to dance with herself and I nearly died laughing. Betsy will just do things like that.

6. She loves good chocolate, good food and good wine. And she likes to share those things with others. What’s not to love about that?

5. Betsy sewed versions of cheesy American Flag Aprons for her friends in France. Betsy gets Irony.

4. She if one of the funniest people I know. I just love hanging out with Betsy. She can make an afternoon of baking cookies the highlight of your entire month.

3. Betsy can HANG. She can watch a marathon of the real world, Little House on the Prairie (she possesses and encyclopedic knowledge of the series), Survivor, E! True Hollywood Stories, or a Lifetime Made for TV movie. She can make the mundane marvelously entertaining.

2. She cried the first time she heard Patty Griffin’s “Moses”. She is a tender hearted soul with a tough exterior.

And the number one best thing about Betsy……….Drumroll…….

1. Betsy is the only person I have ever gotten into a face spitting contest with. When we were young, we sat for 45 minutes spitting on each others faces. We both found this game extremely entertaining. There is a kinship that one has that goes beyond mere bloodlines when one gleefully expectorates onto their sister’s face, and then their sparring sister reciprocates, and both parties enjoy it so much you continue on with the game for a weirdly long amount of time. Our faces were covered in phlegm, and we thought it was just dandy. Gross as all get-out, yes. But fun nonetheless.

7 Comments:

Blogger TwinsGoddess said...

Oh my God, I can't breathe... I forgot about her dancing at Janna's wedding.

And in #8, you forgot the fanny pack. Must not forget the fanny pack.

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't remember the fanny pack. I do remember how her favorite song to rock out to in preschool was "Eye of the Tiger". And how in Church on Christmas Eve, I believe the same time, she stuck her thumb up and growled, "Hhheeyy, I'm the FONZ" really loud. And we all almost peed ourselves laughing.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

Betsy sounds like the kind of friend we'd all love to have. What a lovely birthday tribute to her!

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant! What a wonderful friend. Best wishes for a fab birthday, Betsy!

6:21 PM  
Blogger Julie Marsh said...

That is just too funny. I am so glad that my girls have the good fortune of having a sister; I always wanted one, and this celebratory post is a good example of why.

Bonne anniversaire, Mlle. Betsy!

7:41 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Can't Breathe. Must Stop Laughing. Ahahahaha!

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh you kids.
i could not agree more about Betsy.
so glad you all have each other.
you entertain far more than each other.
love you all.

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home